Saturday, April 30, 2016

Arriving Down Under | Australia Day 1-2



So I'm back. Again. For about the millionth time. I know, and I'm not going to promise that it is for good this time, because I can't. But I've missed this space and I'm full of motivation to get back at it. So to get me started, I've decided to finally write up those posts about our family trip to Australia last summer. I know it's a while ago now, but I'm still loving the memories, and we took so many pictures, that I could probably fill a month's worth of blog posts with them. This way I at least can't use the 'don't-know-what-to-blog-about'-excuse for a while, ha!

But back to the start. In February of 2015 my sister took off for 6 months of work and travel in Australia and of course my parents and I didn't want to pass on the opportunity of an excuse to book flights for ourselves and visit her. So in July we hopped on a plane for 3 weeks of family adventure exploring the east coast and northern territory in a camper van. In 3 weeks you can see a lot, but everyone who has been to Australia before, will know, that even if you drove for hours every day, you still go home and feel like you haven't seen anything at all, because this country is just so damn big. 3 weeks are however quite a long time and we did go to some amazing places. So without further ado, let's get into it:


We started our adventure in Brisbane. After 23 hours of planes and airports (plus a 6 hour delay), we finally arrived down under at 6 in the morning and, after quickly storing our bags away, headed straight for breakfast in a really cute café somewhere downtown. Brisbane seemed really pretty, but we wanted to get on the road, so didn't get to explore very much.


We spend the night on a really simple camp ground just a bit outside Brisbane. The next day, we started our way towards Hervey Bay and had a quick stop in Maryborough, birth-town of P.L. Travers, creator of Mary Poppins.




From there we drove on to our camping site in Hervey Bay. Before dinner we decided to take a stroll along the beach and watched the sun set over the ocean. Definitely a sight that will recur in a lot of pictures to follow, but I just can't get enough of it.  






Also: this is winter in Australia. Winter! Can I please get this kind of weather during winter in Germany? Although I do prefer a cold and white Christmas, so maybe it's ok the way it is.





After dinner - which was always quite the adventure, but we did manage to whip up some pretty nice meals - we fell into our beds at about 7 pm. Another reoccurring thing during our trip. I guess we could blame it on the jet lag in the beginning, but we always were so tired, we never stayed up any longer than 10.


I am really missing those nice beach walks and the warm sun, especially since the weather in Germany is currently really not at it's best. Looking through all those pictures does make the day a little sunnier though and it really has me longing for another beach holiday. Let's see what this year has in stock. But till then I'll keep giving you and me a little dose of sunshine through those posts. 
The next post, will be about our trip to Fraser Island, so stay tuned if you are interested in that and the rest of our little adventure. I hope you enjoyed this first part of my Australian diary series. Let me know if you would like a post with general information about how we planned this trip and tips if you want to do it yourself.
Have a wonderful day and don't forget to smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment