Friday, March 28, 2014

My Year Of Travel 2013 (Part 3)


I'm sorry I've been a little absent but first there were exams to study for and write and then I was just lacking motivation to be quite honest. However, I'm back now and to get back on track I decided to start with something simple and do the third and final part of my travel experiences in 2013. 



As I mentioned in part 2 I went to spain twice. First with my sister and then with my boyfriend at the end of summer. We spend the last week of september in Cala d'Or on the island of Majorca. I'm really glad we took this trip as it felt so good to catch some warmth and sun while autumn had already arrived in Germany. We enjoyed the weather to its fullest and rarely did anything else than lying on the beach or by the pool. I'm more of a beach-person while he liked the pool better. So we spend the morning and noon at the beach and switched to the pool in the afternoon when it started to get windy and cooler at the beach. For dinner we mostly eat at the buffet in our hotel. The food was nothing special, but considering that it wasn't a 5-star hotel either it was ok. One night however we went into town and had spareribs at one of the many restaurants. And let me tell you, those were the best spareribs I've ever had! The restaurants are all quite similar so I guess it wouldn't matter which one you pick. Go for the one that looks nicest to you ;) We also had a few cocktails in some of the bars. I especially enjoyed the ones with the parrots, flower garlands and big fancy cocktails with tons of fresh fruit, sparklers and dry ice. The other nights were spend on our balcony, reading and sipping on a glass of sangria. 

I miss my tan :(



The only exciting thing we did was a trip to Palma de Mallorca. We hopped on the bus filled with (mostly german) tourists and enjoyed the scenery passing by. I had been to the city before so we decided to just stroll around a little. I think you always see the most if you just go wherever you feet carry you - just bring a map or something in case your orientation senses aren't the best so you don't get completely lost. We visited the Banys Àrabs, had pizza for lunch and on the way back to the bus we did some shopping. It was a really nice day. As was the whole week. Except for the little chaos and the end of the vacation, caused by our names not being on the list for the bus to the airport and a stubborn bus driver who wouldn't take us anyway even though there obviously were enough free seats. We somehow got there eventually and went straight on the plane. I wouldn't have minded missing the flight and having to stay a day longer, but unfortunately that didn't happen.



 La Seu



Banys Àrabs




My final travel destination was London. My sister and I had wanted to go to London together for a while and when I found a good deal for a weekend in December I booked straight away. We took an almost empty bag and some early-christmas-shopping money and met at the airport on friday morning. Until we finally arrived in our room it was past noon and we were hungry. We entered the first place we could find and I had my first ever Nandos. Now that we were full, we decided to use the rest of the day for some sightseeing and keep the saturday for shopping. 








Starting off at Tower Bridge, we walked along the Thames up to the house of parliament. Everything was beautifully decorated and lit in fairy lights and there even was a little christmas market next to the london eye. Unfortunately it began to rain so we soon headed back to the place we were staying at and fell in bed. The next day was all about shopping! I mean what would you expect two sisters on a weekend trip to London would do? But we did come across a view sight worthy places throughout the day. Finishing the day off we visited the Queen at her place (well we stood in front of the fence and tried to figure out which might be her room, but still close enough). There were a lot of places I remembered from last time I was in London and wanted to revisit and others that I had not been to before, but heard to be worth a visit. Sadly, two days are not enough to see everything, especially if you spend most of the second day inside changing rooms. So I'm pretty sure I'll come back, because London is always beautiful.




And that's it now. Those were all the places I visited last year. I hope you enjoyed this little series. Unfortunately I won't be going on that many trips this year. The only thing planned so far is a short trip to Berlin in two weeks, which I'm already really looking forward to (fingers crossed the weather stays nice). But, the exciting news is: I'm going to spend a whole 5 months on Tenerife! Starting sometime in late August or early September I'm gonna spend the semester studying at the University of La Laguna. I can't wait! There will definitely be some posts about my time on the island. Maybe even on a second blog with a friend. We'll see…

What places are you going to visit this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment