Thursday, October 02, 2014

The Good Life - An Update


So after over a month in Tenerife, I'm finally finding the time and motivation to report on what's been going on and how life is on the island. 
The first weeks have been pretty hectic, with lots of organization, trying to get comfortable with the new language situation and of course some sight seeing and other adventures. As during this first month I have already been to quite a few places, it would be too much to cover it all now, so I'm going to split things up and write about those adventures during the next days. This post is simply an update on how I'm doing.

 Leaving Germany



First things first, I had to find a place to stay. Which actually turned out to be pretty easy around here compared to Germany. I'm now sharing a flat with two spanish students and hopefully I will get the chance to talk to them from time to time to practice my language skills. In addition to that a booked a spanish course, since I want to learn as much as possible in as little time as possible to make communication a bit easier (or make it possible at all, as it still is pretty difficult). 
University wise there is not much to tell. It's pretty much the same as in Germany, just that here I don't really understand much due to language barriers. But we'll see how that turns out at the end of the year.
 
Playa Jardín in Puerto de la Cruz


Concerning the island I can only say it's just so beautiful. The nature is stunning and there is something for everyone, as it is so diverse. I'm staying in the former capital San Cristobal de La Laguna, which is located higher up in the mountains and therefore the weather can be quite rough and cold in autumn and winter. However, only a 15 minute bus ride away, is today's capital Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which is located right at the sea and here it is sunny almost always and normally a few degrees warmer than in La Laguna. 


La Laguna


Santa Cruz



I can honestly say I don't think I could have chosen a better place to stay and I am really excited for what's to come. I've already met some amazing people (mostly germans, but hopefully I'll get to know a few more locals in the future) and there are still so many things I want to do and see. Of course I do miss home sometimes and especially my boyfriend, which makes it even harder, but I'm trying my best to make the most of it and enjoy myself while I'm here, as there are only a little over 4 months left. So stay tuned if you are interested in what I've been up to and what adventures I'm going to come across during this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment