Thursday, January 16, 2014

Favourite Places Around The World



Skyline

Today, I thought I'd share some of my favourite places to be. Of course this list might change throughout my life, as I haven't seen the whole world yet, but those are just some places I love and would go back to every year if I could.


I tried narrowing it down to 3 spots which was really hard. In the end I choose those places that are beautiful and have a personal meaning for me. But here you go in no particular order:

Vancouver, Canada

Stanley Park

If I ever move to another country, Vancouver is probably on top of my list. I spend 5 months there during 11th grade and without exaggeration: it was the best time of my life so far. At first it was really scary for the 17 year old me to spend such a long time away from home and everyone I know. During the flight I seriously thought about asking the pilot to turn around … yeah great idea. But as soon as I arrived at the airport and met my host family, all the fear was gone. Everyone was so friendly and I made some amazing friends I'm still in contact with today. Well, and then there's the city itself. It's simply beautiful. I have ever since gushed about it and my mum never understood why it was so special, but after our family tour of Canada and the US she did. Now she wants me to move there so she has a reason to visit (maybe I will one day, mum ;)). The most stunning thing about it is the scenery: on one side you have the snow-topped mountains and then you turn around and there's the ocean. One place you should definitely go to is Stanley Park. I could have spend hours there, just sitting on a bench watching the Skyline of Vancouver and the ocean. I won't name all the beautiful spots, as the list would be way too long. So I hope the pictures do it justice and give you a good impression why I fell in love with this city.


Capilano Suspension Bridge

Steam clock in Gastown



L'Escala, Spain



As I mentioned in the About Me post I have spanish roots. Therefore I've been traveling to spain since I was a litlle baby (even before that: my mum took me with her while she was pregnant). I've seen a lot of places throughout the country, but the town that's grown on me is L'Escala. It's situated on the Costa Brava and about 120 km from Barcelona. My grandparents own a little apartment there, this way we always have a place to stay for free (great ocean view included!). I can't count how many times I've been there. It's almost like my second home now. Maybe there are places you'd consider prettier, but it's got a special spot in my heart and will forever remain there. 
Path to the beach


Sant Martí d'Empúries - one of my favourite Restaurants is just down the street


Sunrise from our balcony



Salto de Batlle, Santa Pau, Spain


Not to far from L'Escala is a beautiful place we once discovered unintentionally. It's a waterfall called 'Salto de Batlle' and it's close to the town of Santa Pau. The access is not very easy, since you have to follow a small uneven trail and the last bit is really steep, but what waits for you at the end is definitely worth it. You won't get too much sun, as the waterfall lies in the middle of a forest, but the little sea is excellent to swim in and afterwards you can lie down on one of the stones surrounding it that are always warm. When I was younger I even used to climb  up to about the middle of the waterfall and jump into the water from up there. Unfortunately other people have discovered the peaceful little spot as well, so we don't always have it all to ourselves like it used to be. Nevertheless, it still is beautiful and a great place to relax. So if you're ever in that region, go there, shut the world out and enjoy nature.



That was it for my favourite sites I've been to so far. There are tons of other places I love and would recommend to visit, but if I tried to name them all this post would never end. If you're interested in some of the other journeys I went on, just leave a comment and I will try and write a post about those was well. Until then, keep dreaming of all those beautiful beaches, mountains or wherever you enjoy to spend your holidays most.

Do you have any special places you love?




2 comments:

  1. wow, these places look stunning! you're very good at photography, what sort of camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I never thought of myself as a good photographer. Most of the pictures where just taken with my iPhone 4s. The rest of them is so old I can't remember what camera it was.

      Delete